Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Using Adult Language

I have been known to have what you might call a "dirty mouth". I would tell you that I learned this from my father, and that is partly true. I didn't really think a lot of it, and I basically blew it off as something harmless. More and more, especially recently, I have been more conscious of this habit, and through repeated suggestions by my mom, mother-in-law, and just talking to people in general, I will admit that I do have a sincere desire to "clean up" my language.

Day by day also, I have been reading and listening to personal development literature and presentations, and I am maintaining my student mentality and constantly working to improve myself as a person and a professional. I will paraprhase Jim Rone here, but I believe he said something like, "Don't underestimate the power of your language." This is true, and thinking in terms of communication, I have been working to minimize my hesitation words and maximize each word in each sentence and the emphasis of my speech to make my conversations more meaningful. Today, I listened to a Zig Ziglar podcast called "Using Adult Language." It was extremely insightful, and Zig talks about "adult language". It is the thinking that adult language should include foul swearing and vulgar content that is where we are in the wrong.

"...I'm guilty of using an enormous amount of adult language. Words like honesty and responsibility and optimistic and discipline and commitment--they're all adult language words. Decisive, dedicated, competent, dependent, consistent, punctual...I don't know where they ever got the idea that filth and vulgar words were adult..."

"...I use also...a tremendous number of four-letter words...like hope and care and love and good and team and warm and free..."

-Zig Ziglar



How did you feel when you read that passage? I know when I heard it I got all of these optimistic thoughts. Hopeful feelings. Whole-hearted, adult emotions. I love feeling those things, and I believe those are more meaningful, so I will pledge today to work to adjust my language and convert my poor choices in words to powerful, meaningful decisions on diction. Thanks for reading everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I, too, can place a lot of blame on my parent's casual and frequent use of dirty words. As I have gotten older I notice it more when I am around them. I find myself unable to pay attention to what they are actually saying and often find it embarrassing when we are in public. I had to ask myself, "do I sound like that?" Now, even when a little one slips in it actually feels dirty. I have exchanged those useless words for censored expressions (what the eff?) and light-hearted British counterparts (i.e. bloody hell). I find it's more lighthearted and less abrasive in casual conversations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alleluia, praise the Lord! Mikey I am so glad that you are cleaning up your language because using foul words does not add to the intensity of your message, it actually diminishes it's effect. Also, I know that you have matured spiritually and not only physically p90x. I have noticed your spiritual maturity through some scriptual messages. Besides this will give you a better way to raise my grandkids with respect when the time comes. I have a job for you. Look up the scriptures and find the verses that talk about "how can a person say foul language with the same tongue he praises God". This is in no way any judgement call on my part. I have prayed about you clean up your language and I know God has answered my prayers. So, thank you and thank God. I love you and real proud of you

    ReplyDelete