Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Doctor's Orders

Today I was forced to stay home due to a high fever and severe illness symptoms. Jasmine wasn't feeling great either, and we were able to make appointments at the doctor's office right away, which was great. I had been meaning to go in to see my doctor for an annual physical, but this came first obviously. The last time I was there was for a physical back around late jan/early feb of '09. It was around that time that I had lost my first 30 lbs from my heaviest of 225lbs from the previous visit in 08, when the doctor initially told me, "If you want to avoid future health problems, you should get your weight down..." I knew that this visit was sure to start a conversation also, and I decided to take advantage of this opportunity.

I weighed in with my clothes on at 153, so I have gained a few healthy pounds since finishing the Insanity program and starting P90X+, which is ok, and is mostly muscle. Anyways, when updating my information, the nurse saw the alert on the screen, and let me just say we had a pleasant and positive conversation regarding the weight loss and health improvement. The doc came in, and we had a chat as well before assessing me for my ailments. I told him,

"Doc, I did what you told me to do!..."

He was impressed and seemed a bit shocked as to how I lost so much weight, and also had quit smoking since jan 1, 2009. I have completely changed my diet and eating habits and really only drink on special occasions now.

After my assessment which was I have some sort of bacterial infection that should clear up with the antibiotics he prescribed me (thanks doc!), I mentioned that there are probably other people that he has made recommendations for weight loss to, but may not know how or think it is even possible. I asked him if I could leave some materials for him to review and I also left a stack of business cards for him to give to some people that are in the condition I used to be in that have no plan or idea of how to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle. He agreed, and I left the stuff there with him. Now, will he pass those on? I don't know. Will those people contact me or even care enough about themselves to look into it? I don't know. What I do know is that I have nothing to lose by offering my help, and the potential patients have everything to gain by accepting and looking to me for help. If there is even the slight chance that I can help one more person, then all of my efforts are well worth it, and that is exactly how I feel about it. Thanks for reading and happy friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment