Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Challenges

More and more often, I am getting questions from people including my buddies on teambeachbody.com, friends, family, etc, and they ask for my help with various topics. I appreciate the questions, and I am definitely here to help! First, I spoke with my mom today, and she had a challenge she needed to take on, and she is definitely not alone.

She asked me, "Mike, I need some help with my form for some of the moves in my Slim In 6 Ramp It Up workout...could you come by and workout with me and help me with the technique?"


Now, I would love nothing more than to stop by and work out with my mom to help her out. Unfortunately, I live in the city and she lives in the suburbs, and I brainstormed with her about some solutions she and others could do without me being there. One thing you can do is to mount mirrors on your wall and/or just prop up a mirror so that when you are doing your workout, you can glance at yourself and compare your form with the form on the video. The other thing you can do (if someone else is home) is ask them to compare what you look like to what the video looks like and help you correct it. Since there is a reference in the video, the person doesn't need to be an expert...they should maybe work out with you, though! The third thing if those are not available is to set up a video camera and record yourself. You can watch and notice what you are doing and/or you can post the vids on youtube and I and others can watch and give you feedback. One of those should surely help if you are in this situation.

The other question I got was from today, from one of my good buds on teambeachbody, who wrote:

Mike,

Hey man, you always motivate me so I wanted to touch base with you. Starting a second round of P90X after a 2 month layoff. I gained 7 pounds on that layoff :(

My eating habits are pretty strict, since I am a type 2 diabetic, but can always do better.

At 6 foot 182, body fat 22%, I want to get to 170 and under 18% body fat. So here is my issue, I want to bulk up and gain mass? So I saw a post on the message board and they put the following P90x workout on to build mass

http://teambeachbody.com/connect/message-boards/-/message_boards/message/19578449

Tell me what you think or should I just do the classic program again, but with low reps and heavier weights?

The first thing I want to address is regarding your conflicting questions. First, your goal is to drop 12 lbs and 4% body fat, but you stated that you want to bulk up and gain mass. These are two different things, man! However, I think I know what you are asking: How do I build muscle and lose fat at the same time? The first tip is to eat toward your goal weight. Since you are dropping 12 lbs, you should restrict your calories vs. what you are burning on a daily basis until you reach that weight. Then, you need to approximate to eat just about what you are burning, and this should keep you at that weight. Through working out intensely and eating very nutritious calories, you will burn the fat and most likely replace this with muscle. and yes, for proper muscular hypertrophy ("swelling up") to occur, you should go low with the reps and high with the weight. Maintain proper form and exhaust your reps when appropriate according to the program, and you won't have any issue.

I will say this, though, why don't you tackle one issue at a time? I mean, you are at 22% body fat...why don't you focus on getting lean first, then work on building lean muscle from there. This way, you will ensure that you are ripped up and only building muscle. The problem with doing both is you may not feel you look muscular because of the fat surrounding your muscles, and you may get discouraged. Here's the thing, man, stick to the high weight/lower reps, and follow the meal plan. Don't reinvent the wheel, bro; just follow directions. Learn to crawl before you walk, and you will be able to run on your own. Make sense? Besides, don't you want to get ripped??!! 90 days, buddy...not a long time...give it a shot, and you will learn much from it and we'll go from there. I hope this feedback helps, man, and I'm glad you are jumping back on it!


No comments:

Post a Comment