Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ordinary People. Extraordinary Experiences.

"Have you ever had an extraordinary experience with God?"
This was the question mentioned during the sermon in church today. I want to talk about the scripture lesson, but I don't want to get off track, so I will just refer to this simple question. Think about this for a moment. You don't have to raise your hand, you don't have to respond publicly, but think to yourself about this question. Personally, I have definitely had extraordinary experiences, and I'll tell you: every time someone emails or sends me a message stating that I have inspired them to improve their health, I consider that extraordinary. Further, when people tell me that they had a decision to make and they thought of what I would do in their position, that is extraordinary to me. I would also absolutely say that when I have seen the chain reaction of this happening, such as people being inspired by people I have inspired, that is truly an amazing thing.

"What does that have to do with God?", you might ask. It has absolutely everything to do with God. If God is the force that connects us all to this Earth and everything else in it, including the seemingly random events that influence us to react and adjust, then I have witnessed the act of God that brought about the flooding of the Chicago River, which caused me to pick up the pieces and put my basement back together, which in turn gave me a feeling of empowerment, which after randomly witnessing a P90X commercial I had the confidence to follow through with the revolutionizing of my health back into athletic status, which influenced others including my family, friends, co-workers, and even now perfect strangers, which is leading to them improving their lives, and on and on... Wow. Just imagining the butterfly effect that has happened and is unstoppable now, I would have to say that I have and I continue to experience the hand of God in my life, and am no longer afraid of this. Actually, I have embraced this calling and only wish to continue to touch the lives of others and help them to do the same.

When faced head-on with seemingly impossible challenges in your life, be open to God touching you and please believe that you can make your dreams a reality. When you do, share this message so that others can be empowered to do the same. Thanks to the guest deacon at Berry United Methodist today for sharing this message, and please read Luke 5:1-11 for a classic Biblical story that inspired the lesson. Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment