Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Udderly Impossible

My head's really spinnin' now! My friend Jenny recently responded to the last blog regarding soy and the possible health implications consuming it may have. I mentioned that I might just try to revert back to regular milk, and she recommended I read a section in the book, "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman. The section discusses some of the things we know about industrialized animal products and the harmful toxins we absorb by consuming it. Partly from what we feed the cows, but also due to the damage caused by clamps on the udders and the unclean, immoral conditions we house the animals in. Bottom line is consuming dairy and drinking milk can lead to health issues. The other obvious thing is that we are utilizing the product that nourishes baby cows during their childhood. It is kinda weird if you think about it. Anyways, that's a whole story in itself, and I don't care to elaborate any more. So milk is bad. Unfermented soy products like soy milk can be harmful. Although we try to get away from processed foods, maybe a processed alternative is still better, such as rice milk or almond milk? I haven't looked into these yet, so please chime in with a comment or suggestion about either or both of these please!

Today for breakfast I sauteed some fresh vegetables and sliced up around 6 ounces of tofu and sauteed that in the residual olive oil leftover. I enjoyed that between slices of toasted 100% whole wheat sourdough, which was great. I didn't use any animal products, and the tofu actually was great. It was soft and had a fried-egg type of texture, and overall it was a great meal. I even had my coffee black, which wasn't silky like I'm used to with the soy milk, but I'm tryin'! Am I evolving into a vegan? I don't think so. I am, however, striving to do the best I can without going "udderly insane"! So that's really the bottom line here, peeps. Do the best you can, keep learning, and make your own decisions based on your knowledge about health, what your economic status allows for, and convenience. And keep exercising regularly to be the healthiest you can--not just for you, but more importantly, for the people who care about you and need you around to give them support! Have a great weekend, everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment