Search This Blog

Thursday, July 15, 2010

That Extra Hour

Recently I read something regarding the importance of getting 7 hours of sleep. You function better mentally, you are healthier, and your body repairs optimally as well. There are many benefits. This week has been especially hectic for me. I am transitioning to a new career, so besides my normal schedule of waking at 5, working at 8 and finishing in the early afternoon, I have added three days of onboard training from 3-6 at my new place of employment. Those extra hours may not seem much, but with added information to absorb and focusing on learning that entire time plus getting in some sort of workout has been challenging and strenuous. The night before last, after such a shift, I came home, had dinner, then began working some more on research and preparing for yesterday. Well, I finally got to bed a bit before 11pm, and woke at 5. Obviously, I didn't get a full 7 hours in, and in the morning I was generally ok. However, by the afternoon I felt spacey, and though I was excited to be at my new job again, it was a challenge to regurgitate information I had learned, stay focused and absorb new information, and I was generally tired. My organization was erratic. When I arrived, I got my things situated at my locker and got in a quick workout. I showered and when I got my things back in my locker, I ended up locking the keys to the lock inside. Wow. I usually don't use key locks, but I don't want to use that as an excuse. Clearly, my brain function was not 100%, and this situation proved it. Also, even though we got the lock cut which was not a problem, when I was done for the day I realized I left my keys in that locker, which I will retrieve today, but again, it's something that doesn't happen. Take it from me, work to get in that extra hour of sleep and you will be happier, healthier, and most likely be on point in all aspects mentally. Have a great day everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment