Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Real Food

At my previous job, someone asked me once, "Do you ever eat real food?" This was a hilarious question to me because I guess he was referring to "real food" as the food that has become the norm in Chicago and our nation. Foods such as pastas, burgers, pizza, etc. Also, he was most likely referring to animal proteins since he noticed I never have meat on my menu. My mother-in-law and I have developed a tabbouleh recipe that contains toasted whole wheat soaked in water so that the grains puff and soften. We then add an arsenal of fresh chopped vegetables including carrots, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, jicama, sundried tomato, and others as we feel inclined. We add in some salt, pepper, chopped herbs, cumin seed, extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar and lemon juice, and it's money! I've been making a fruit medley that varies but contains some or all of the following: watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, pineapple, grapes, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries. I eat this in addition to the tabbouleh for lunch usually, and I've been warming up two boca burger patties for protein. Now, I realize that boca burgers are a processed food, but they are some great bang-for-your buck as far as protein is concerned. 1 gram of fat and 18 grams of protein, I believe. That's equivalent to a tuna or mahi filet which is great, and they are affordable as well. I have to factor in the convenience of the product as well. All in all, a lunch like this vs a lunch of pasta, factory farmed chicken breast, and a processed cheese sauce...there's no contest and no question as to what the "real food" is here. The more "whole" the food, the better! Whole grains, whole fruit, whole fresh vegetables, herbs, and washed down with water...can't get any realer. Yesterday I had a chance to spend some time with my wife and we visited the farmers market where my cousin sells cuts of local farm-raised chickens, beef, and pork. These are meats from animals who have lived a comfortable, natural life eating foods they were meant to eat and not pumped with antibiotics, growth hormones, or anything else that we wouldn't find appetizing as consumers. It's amazing what we as people will eat because it's affordable and has become the norm. I've mentioned it before, but you owe it to yourself to watch the documentary "Food Inc." and/or read the book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. Besides my cousin, there are local farmers selling great vegetables, fruits, cheeses, hand-made breads, and other good things. I picked up some corn-on-the-cob and we grilled it up last night along with some tandoori-style catfish and grilled zucchini, broccoli, and sweet peppers. What an amazing dinner it was! The corn needed nothing as the wonderful, sweet, natural flavor was plenty to satisfy. And obviously, corn is 100% whole grain! Time to learn more about "real food" and I encourage all of you to do some of your own research as well. Have a great day, everyone, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Food, Inc. even had me reconsidering eating soy! Fast Food Nation was also life-changing; the book was a documentary, but the film plays out more like an actual movie.

    It never ceases to amaze me just how hard it is to eat "real food"! Thankfully, all of my garden vegetables will be ripe soon and I can gorge myself on the good stuff! Keep it up, Mike! By the way, I never got those Indian recipes I asked for...

    ReplyDelete