Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Who's Runnin' With Me?

All I have to say is, "Wow!" This morning I ran in my first official running event, the Ravenswood 5k. I figured this would be a great way to kick-off the season, and I was right. I've been training with the INSANITY program, which utilizes a schedule of intense max interval training, (if you want to know more about that please contact me or click on the ad on the left), and a weekly run. During my runs, I have been using the Nike Plus system, which uses my ipod nano and a transmitter on my shoe to record my strides, maintain my pace, and record my distance. What I realized today is that this was a bit off, and it actually helped me out. I've been seeing a pace of around 7:50-8:00 per mile with the Nike+ system, but my results from the race really surprised the heck out of me. For this race, sensors were attached to my bib which electronically recorded my time by starting when I crossed the start line and stopped when I crossed the finish. The times have been posted officially, and here are my results:
OVERALL: 125/2929, AGE GROUP(25-29): 32/219, OFFICIAL TIME: 20:26, OFFICIAL MILE PACE: 6:35
Wow. To think my goal for the summer was to break 20:00!! Anyway, I am glad to have been a part of this race, but I'd like to share some of my thoughts during the race. The feeling was euphoric, first of all. All the racers, the spectators, the blocked off streets. Even the smell in the air and the moist but temperate climate was great. While I was running, I thought of all of the people that have been supporting me and that love and care about me and my health and success. My family, my friends, and the people that have been in my life. I also had feelings of a much greater sense. I don't do this solely for myself. I love challenging myself to fulfill my own desires, don't get me wrong. But if I can show people on paper what I can do so that it might inspire them to believe in themselves a little more, it's worth it. If I can show the skeptics and the people that think drastic transformations are not possible that it is possible, it's worth it. So you see the numbers. Go to the website and see for yourself: http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?orgID=234623&rsID=91820. Think about the fact that in the fall of 2008, I was 225 lbs, clinically obese smoking half a pack of cigarettes a day and got tired walking up a few steps, and now I'm placing in the top 5% in races...YEAH. I'd also like to point out that I'm taking this coaching thing a bit further and have officially ordered my NASM Personal Trainer certification materials and will be an officially certified Personal Trainer within a month or two. So there's only one question..."Who's Runnin' With Me?" Thanks for reading everyone!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment