Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Got An Extra 8 Seconds?

Today I went back to the pool for another drill and self training swim session. I began my drills as I had last time, although I was a bit more comfortable initially than last time, no surprise. I added a couple more drills, and then did a couple lengths with no fins on to finish up. Constantly conscious of what I was doing, I kept identifying more and more ways I could improve for next week, and I will I am sure. Add to that my Insanity endurance training program which rocks, a few strength workouts, and my running and cycling, and I am sure to be in tip top shape over the course of the summer. "Dig Deeper" is the theme of my Insanity program, and if you are doing the program, you know Shaun T is constantly yelling this at us. It is true--most of the barriers we often face in fitness and life are created and housed in our mind. If we can dig past this and find some extra strength, drive, motivation, etc inside ourselves, we will push harder and do more. Thinking once again of tonight's swim session, afterward while changing in the locker room, I couldn't help but overhear a couple guys talking about some runs and triathlons coming up for them. At one point, I deduced that they were discussing a 5k run because of the times they were referring to.
"One time I ran an 18:08...I was kicking myself because I almost broke 18:00!"
"You think you had an extra 8 seconds?" the other guy responded with, referring to the trivial pursuit of the flat 18 minute time.
"Everyone's got an extra 8 seconds..."
This is the statement that really got me thinking. In a sense, there is always just a little bit more we can do to push past what we feel our limits are where great things happen. Not just in sports, but in daily routines, workloads, hectic errand scheduling, etc. Push past what you think your willpower is and you will do it. But again, find the things and people in your mind that are most important to you, and make those things what drive you to do what you feel you are not yet capable of, and you will find yourself capable of the impossible. Let no one tell you something you want is not within reach. I believe there is a Chinese parable that says,"Man that says 'it can't be done' should not interrupt man doing it." Dig Deeper People! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment