Search This Blog

Friday, April 9, 2010

Safety In Health

Yesterday when I was walking home from work, everything seemed normal. I turned on Pandora on my phone and started jammin' and began my short trek toward Clark and Lake and began to plan the rest of my evening. While crossing Wells, the light had turned green and the little green walking man that symbolizes it's safe to cross the street was on too. There was a lady walking about 10 feet ahead of me, and a Chrysler sedan was waiting to turn while we crossed. I have no idea what this guy was thinking, but as I crossed I noticed the car beginning to accelerate a bit too early, and it even seemed as though he didn't see me at all! I realized if I didn't move any quicker I was going to get hit, right-of-way or not, so I quickly jumped forward and avoided being hit. Of course, I turned in the direction of the car, and he must have seen me in the rear-view because he briefly stopped. I avoided the accident, so I turned and continued on my way although I was definitely pumped a bit with adrenaline at the near hit. The funny thing is that I realized what I would have been the most upset about is the idea I might have been injured and would need to skip a workout or two and pause my endurance training. This made me real upset!

I then thought of what allowed my escape. What if I wasn't as healthy as I am? What if physically I wasn't as athletic as I am now? What if my mental clarity and alertness wasn't where it is today? What if I was any less healthy? I may have been hit. And if I was hit, I may have been hurt badly. Kind of makes you think, doesn't it? We really are benefiting in more ways than we think just by being healthier and living better. Besides the obvious sicknesses, diseases, and medical conditions we can avoid later in life, think of the accidents and incidents of injury we can avoid by being healthy today! I'll leave you with that for this Friday night, and let that be another cause for your motivation! Thanks for reading everyone, and join us tomorrow morning at 9:30 am for the Power Call!! Check out the call info in yesterday's blog "Antioxidant Crunch".

No comments:

Post a Comment