Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

First Friday

Today caps off my first full week at my new place of employment, The Corner Bakery Cafe. I definitely like the atmosphere, the natural food we serve, and my co-workers. I appreciate the level of professionalism that comes with the experience that this chain has, and it is reflected in the way the operation runs, the management, and the process as a whole. My position is the "Expo", or expedite station, where I can see the orders as the cashiers enter them in, make the soups, oatmeals, parfaits, bagels, etc, but mainly get the dining and to-go orders ready and complete for delivery to the hungry people waiting to eat and/or get back to work with their meals. I have learned a lot so far, and I will only continue to work to improve myself so that I can bring the team up and not slow anyone down.

My managers have given me positive feedback on my progress, but I also have already noticed the methods that they lead us through the day. They take control, are concise in their instructions, but also and more importantly, they give positive feedback on the performance of the team members. Not only myself and the new people, but also the existing staff receive positive, encouraging remarks and some are rewarded for working a bit harder and going above and beyond by getting their meal paid for as well. It is another aspect of leadership I am big on. I believe that we all respond better to positive reinforcement where a good job is rewarded and positive criticisms are made, rather than negative reinforcement where one is in constant fear of being reprimanded or being punitively criticized, which does not yield good results in any situation. So, I will go into today feeling confident and looking forward to another challenging, but rewarding day, and I will try to do my best as always! Thanks for reading everyone! Happy Friday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment