Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Drillin'

This morning was day 2 of my "doubles" training. I will say that last night about 9ish, I was done. After work I did a P90X Chest and Back workout at the gym. I slightly modified a couple of the lifts to include some more strength training, such as swapping out the first set of push ups with a standard bench press. I also did a custom ab routine afterward then came home. This morning I woke up around 4:30. As you may attest in your personal experience, once you alter your sleep/wake time even by a little bit, it is hard to just get out of bed without giving in to your normal time. However, my mind overcame this once again and once I was up, I got excited. Today I warmed up by jogging to a nearby park. I stretched out, then set some cones out and did an "on-the-fly" set of speed and agility drills. Part of this was reminiscent of the high-school football drills I remember, and part of this was derived from Insanity training. Nonetheless, it was fun and exhausting. I even had planned to jog home but I walked briskly instead as part of my cool down.

Since I've been working with schedules and videos with set routines, it is difficult for me to get into "on-the-fly" mode, and admittedly it is a bit chaotic and difficult to track as well. There is a strong side, though. I've found that it helps me to invent drills and lifts quickly, giving rise to some new ideas which I may not have thought about if I was planning formally. That said, I can take some new moves and integrate them into a set workout, and I have thus reaped the benefits of my own ingenuity. Hey guys--it's summer! Enjoy it! For those of you on a scheduled program, keep doin' it, and when you have a free day, recovery week, etc, get outside and utilize the parks and beaches available. and HAVE FUN!! Please post some of the ways you are enjoying workouts and/or activities outdoors so we can share ideas! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment