Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lunging in the Dark

Last week I went in to XSport Fitness to check out the gym. I know many people who have memberships there, and they like the wide spectrum of features including a salt water pool, climbing wall, classes, basketball court, cardio equipment, and of course, personal training. I figured I would at least take advantage of a 7-day pass to try out the gym, but I did have an ambition to possibly get hired as a trainer. I have been able to do a lot with Team Beachbody and home fitness coaching, but I realize there is much more I can learn and contribute in a Personal Training/Gym setting as well. Anyway, last week the rep convinced me to pick up a membership, try full access for 30 days including a one-on-one assessment session with a Personal Trainer as part of the 30-day guarantee. I bit because I really have nothing to lose, and it seemed like a win-win. Further, if I ended up getting hired there or somewhere else in the next 30-days, I could cancel and not pay anything. Cool.

So yesterday I had my appointment with a Personal Trainer. As it turns out, I got set up with the Fitness Manager, and we began to talk. He asked me what I did for a living, and I explained I work for a restaurant but that I had gotten my certification and I was looking to get experience inside of a gym. We talked further about what I had done to this point, about my personal fitness and health goals, what is important to me, and what I had hoped to get out of the session. Then we did some assessments to check my level of balance, stability endurance, and to see if I had anything that could use corrective training. Sure enough, I do have some tightness in my shoulders and lower back, but I also am a bit weak in my right adductor muscles (the muscles that bring your hip/leg toward your body in a lateral sense). It is amazing what you can find out by doing some simple exercises and tests, and these are the same ones I had learned about in my training, just not yet put to use. Also, it really helped to have mirrors for reference to actually see what's going on, and to have a professional there to point different things out. We then did some other exercises that would help improve my weak points, and the craziest thing I would have to say is a coordination exercise I did with my eyes closed. I struggled to maintain my balance on one leg with my eyes closed as I did several step-back lunges with forward leg-raise, and my trainer explained that I am so used to using my eyes that when that sense is taken away, I am forced to use my other senses. He further explained that there were so many sensory receptors in the foot that were not being utilized. I could see that I have some newer balance and stability endurance exercises to integrate for correction, and surely integrating even the few he showed me would help tremendously in my training.

I felt a sense of humility as well as appreciation and excitement to know that I have an opportunity to improve myself in these areas and what it could mean for my athletic training as well as the education I had just received. We sat down, and as it turns out, I may soon be working as a Personal Trainer there! My trainer said he liked me but that I need some more practical experience before getting into training officially. If all works out, I will go through five sessions as a client to learn and absorb more knowledge, and also to launch my Personal Training career. I need to pray on that this week and into the weekend as there may be other opportunities in the works, which are too early yet to mention. It seems though I can see what may be possible, I am still lunging in the dark a bit and need to feel my way to a solid decision. Please pray for me as the decisions I make within the next week will surely effect my future greatly. Thanks for your support everyone, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Lunges with your eyes closed - what an interesting assessment technique! Guess it just goes to show that there's always something new to learn! Congratulations on having some good options coming your way. With your thoughtful attitude I'm sure you'll be led to the right decision!

    ReplyDelete