Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Think Improvement

Today I ran the Chicago Half Marathon, which means yet another event in my debut season as a runner. That makes four total, including the Ravenswood 5k, the Soldier Field 10 Miler, the 13.1 Series half marathon, and now finally the Chicago Half as well. My season will culminate soon with the completion of the Chicago Marathon on 10.10.10. These halves are no joke, so I know that I have much preparation to go, but I do have a training plan to get me there. These half marathons and training for them has taught me a few things--how to push myself, where to keep my heart rate, how to draft and/or find someone to keep pace with or allow me to recover, and plenty of other things. I started to supplement during the race with more-or-less the Results and Recovery Formula from Team Beachbody. This has an appropriate blend of carbs, protein, vitamins, electrolytes, etc. to replenish what the body is using up and to help recovery and to stay in the game. One thing I have noticed when training and running with this formula is that around mile 10-11, I get this "gotta-go" bellyache and it actually effected my run today as well. Before, I attributed this to just a common bathroom break, but it has been consistent, and though I did push through, I believe it is effecting my performance. I theorize it is the fructose in the formula that is upsetting my stomach, so I will explore other options such as endurance formulas, gels, or perhaps even my own concoction. Overall I am happy to have issues like this now so when the marathon comes, most or all of the kinks will be out and I'll be at my best.

I encourage all of you to keep thinking during activities such as training, events, etc. What do you notice? What is your body telling you? What could you be eating more/less of to encourage optimum performance? Are there lifestyle sacrifices that you could make to help you improve yourself? Also, though these questions are geared toward athletics and sports, they will definitely translate into daily life as well as your career and job performance. Think about it! Have a great day everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment