Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Leadership And Management

Are you a manager or a leader? Do you feel you are both? In the job title sense, managers are responsible for making business work through organization, developing personnel, scheduling, and so on. Most likely, they manage one or two leaders--these are the people who embrace their jobs/roles and excel. They do the things they know need to be done in order to succeed. They may not like or enjoy these activities and tasks, but the focus is not and should not be on the activity itself, but rather the results. Often times, however, leaders are not as good as managers. Leaders, like everyone else, need organization and guidance. Leaders have the motivation and discipline, but need the direction to take them to greater heights. A great manager will be able to guide their leaders (or themselves) through the activities that will help bring out the greatness in the leaders.

This translates into areas other than business, such as in the community, church, family life, etc. Do you feel you are a leader? If so, how are you managing this? For me, I have to constantly work toward better management of time, processes, and prioritizing. I have done well in my own independent ventures, but I do recognize I produce the best when I am managed and coached by others. For example, I am both an Independent Beachbody Coach as well as a Personal Trainer in a fitness club. I am ramping up to full-time very quickly in the gym while my coaching business is slow and steady but not progressing as much at the moment. I'm fine with that, but I do recognize it has a lot to do with the fact that my self-management is not as proactive as my management at the gym, even my own time management is geared mostly toward my clients at the gym. Again, this is okay for now and appropriate, but I wanted to give a recent example. Does this happen to you? Are you a better manager or do you see yourself as a leader? Are you both? Take some time to think about this in the areas of life that are important to you, and if you identify more leadership traits, work to manage yourself better through scheduling, activities, and accountability that will help you develop more. If you are a better manager, think about what it means to be a leader and how you can take action to develop those skills. Think of it this way:
"Not 'you go do it' but 'let's go do it'" - Jim Rone
 Have a great day and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment