Search This Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

The Haves And The Be's

Recently I've been listening to the audiobook, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People," by Stephen R. Covey. If you know me, you know I'm big into personal development, and this book is one of my latest new ones. In chapter 4, there is a great concept I came across, and I wanted to share some ideas with you. "One way to determine which circle our concern is in is to distinguish between the 'have's' and the 'be's" Covey writes. For example, "I'd be happy when I have my house paid off...if I had a better job, boss, more obedient children, more time, etc." Then there's the "be's"--"I can be more patient, be wise, be loving, etc." The main idea is this--when we feel that our problem is "out there" or external in nature, that very thought is the problem! We must move to a character focus and work on what we can inside of ourselves. Realize that we must change before our circumstances and/or situations change. The "inside-out" approach we can call it. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Jim Rone-- "It's not the blowing of the wind that determines our destination, but the set of the sail." We must learn to set a better sail, moral compass, etc, and really keep focused on improving what we can. Also, maintaining a positive mental attitude is huge (I know I go over this a lot). So work on being better, and you will then be able to have more. Be wiser in your choices and priorities, and surely you will have the success you want! Have a great day everyone (by being great!) and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment