Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Forest Of Change

On some nights, I listen to an audiobook as I fall asleep. My mind sometimes races through the things I have to do the next day or just usual life stresses, and I find if I focus on the story or subject, I can relax and get to sleep. Yesterday, I woke up during the night and couldn't get back to sleep right away, so I picked a random part of "Buddha", written and narrated by Deepak Chopra, to listen to. There was a certain part of the story in which the Buddha was discussing personal change with other monks. I'll paraphrase here, but the analogy was something like, "You may think walk through the same forest every day, but each day every leaf in the forest is different, so it is actually a different forest every day." This is exactly how we are as people. Each day we are faced with different circumstances, situations, and challenges that change us in some way. Recognize that we are constantly learning and growing and we, like the leaves in a forest, are different each day because of it. Embrace this change, especially if you are working toward a goal or goals. Realize that you can't get different results doing the same things just like you can't improve or change over a period of time without making small changes daily. Work to make small improvements each day. Learn to live better, and you will be better.
"If we can improve by 1% each day, after 30 days we will have improved by 30%!" - Robin Sharma, "Extraordinary Leadership"
 Have a great day everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment