Search This Blog

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Thank God

Today was the 40th anniversary of the church I grew up in, New Life Lutheran Church, in Bolingbrook, IL. I drove out yesterday morning to join my parents and brother for a special service and the luncheon that followed. It was awesome to see people I haven't seen in a long time, especially those I haven't seen since my age was a single digit number! I got to see the pastor that baptised me, my mom, and brother, and his wife who both were great influences on our early Christian lives. The luncheon and fellowship was fun as well, but the thing that was very special to me was being at this service and noticing the changes that abound. From music selection to bulletin layout, many things are similar and recognizable, but have evolved with the people and the church. Seeing my parents in the choir singing, I really appreciated all that they have done to raise my brother and me. They are a special couple and have their problems and obstacles like we all do. What has always been constant is their love for my brother and me, and their drive to give us the greatest life we could have asked for. I realize that it is not about having a whole lot of things or being able to afford everything monetarily. We got what we truly needed: love, care, and attention, and two parents committed to each other, a rarity these days. I want to thank God for them and for all of the opportunities that I've been given. I appreciate the hardships in my own life as well as all of the abundant blessings. Thank God, and thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment