Search This Blog

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Success Series

This week, I officially finished my entire textbook and study guide activities for my upcoming NASM Personal Trainer certification exam. I scheduled my test for this coming Tuesday, so PLANNING (not hoping) that everything goes well, I will be a Certified Personal Trainer when I cross the 50-yard-line at Soldier Field to finish up the Fleet Feet Sports 10-mile Run on Saturday, May 29!! So exciting! Anyway, I just took the practice test, and am almost there. I failed by a few points, and admittedly, after a series of wrong answers I felt like not finishing the test and going to study. However, I pushed through because it is important to finish. Now I plan to review the test and especially review the questions that I answered incorrectly to understand the concepts and to pass the practice test when I take it again. (Ok so you know I'm going to relate this elsewhere, right? lol)

Yesterday, my friend and a wonderful human being, Jason Mitchell, posted a note on my wall apologizing for "letting me down" for not finishing the 10-miler with me next week. Jason has been my inspiration for getting into running and for signing up for this 10-miler to begin with. He has been struggling with weight loss and trying to stick to the program, and I know it has been hard for him. First of all, he has not let me down, and it is important for you all to remember not to let yourselves down. Further, the only failure that exists is the failure to try. Learn from my above example. If you experience a short-term failure or a series of failed attempts, it is important to keep going. Examine what you have done wrong and understand the concepts and why, then simply make your adjustments and finish "taking the test"! When you are driving on a straight road, don't you still have to make steering adjustments constantly to stay in your lane? This is the same. There will be curves. There will be hills. There will be gravel, and there will be pavement. Monitor your progress, and keep learning.

Here's something for you to do to keep your vision in sight. Establish your long-term goal and write it down if you haven't already. Determine your reason why, then ask why again and get to the root of your desire. Write that down. Now take your long-term goal and break it down into short-term goals, and just focus on the first one for now.

For example:
Long-term goal: I want to lose 20 lbs. in 6 months.
Why? So I can look better
Why do you want to look better? So I have more self-esteem and am not embarrassed about my appearance.
First short-term goal: work out for 30 minutes 5 days a week for the next 2 weeks.
Today's goal: 30 minute cardio workout from 10am-10:30am.

When you reach that goal, move on to the next level, and so-forth. This way, you will break up your overall success into a series of successes, and lean on me and your support system for help and guidance along the way. You can do it. We will do it! Thanks for reading everyone, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment