Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Lawn Love

Growing up, I always marveled at how people (specifically men) can get so obsessed with lawn care. I mean, it's grass, right? Our lawn was okay, but some people went to great lengths to ensure that there were no weeds, the edges where the lawn met the sidewalk were carved out like a barber's lining, and it got fertilized so the lawn was thick and almost a crayola-worthy color of deep green.

Yesterday, I had a task to cut our grass here (which is much smaller than the lawn I had growing up), but I knew there would be much more to it, and I accepted the challenge. First, there is an area between the sidewalk and curb that gets little direct sunlight at all, and I knew to get to it I would have to rake a few layers of leaves and seeds that has been collecting there for some time. In my mind I knew that there was only dirt underneath it all, and boy was I right. The rest of our lawn was pretty sad too. Some dandelions and uneven long and short grasses growing, not to mention the areas that had some plants were in desperate need of new mulch. So I raked, mowed, and raked some more. I put the refuse in a brown bag and continued to put two bags of mulch my neighbor had bought in one of the areas that needed it. Hmm. I guess that was a start, but I had a plan, so I made a visit to the Home Depot and got the supplies I needed to finish the job. When I got home, I raked up the dirt patch between the sidewalk and road, raked in some seeding soil, raked in that green fluffy lawn patch stuff, finished mulching the other areas, and watered down. I then fertilized the lawn (that had grass) with some turf builder which should get rid of the weeds and thicken the lawn. Needless to say I should have taken some before pictures because it looks tremendously better! With some lawn love that green fluffy stuff will transform into grass, and our lawn (and neighbors) will be happy we're not the weakest link!

I understand the pride of caring for your own lawn. There is a certain dignity in it and to me it displays the organization and care we are taking with our daily lives as well. If I can help to maintain a proper lawn and our home looks welcoming, shouldn't then I expect my daily tasks and responsibilities to fall in line with this, too? Think about it. Show your lawn some love, and it will show you love back! Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment