Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

In Memory of Capt. Mark Nickles

I lined up in my corral for the Soldier Field 10 Mile Run today around 7am. I was pumped. I had warmed up, loaded carbs yesterday, got a decent amount of sleep, and was ready. I've been training for this. And today there was a lot of emotion and something deeper than muscle and oxygen running my legs. Since this is a Memorial Day race, there was a tribute to all of our fallen soldiers and a message of support to those fighting for the very freedom that allows us to be able to run the streets and have functions such as this one. If you don't know, my older brother, Mark was a Captain in the Marine Corps. He was a fighter pilot, and though he did not see war, his jet went down in the Yellow Sea (or so that is the story) a day before my 16th birthday. I am not saddened or angry or reluctant to share this because I am so proud of my brother.

You see, in a way, he is the reason I was able to race today. Whenever I think I can't do something, whenever I think there are impossible obstacles in front of me, I revel in the idea that Mark one day had an aspiration to become a pilot, and he achieved that goal. A handful of American soldiers who even qualify physically are able to commit to sticking with the program, passing whatever tests they need to, and prove their skill. Mark did this. If he can do that, there is no way I can make any excuse to do the things necessary to maintain my health and take care of my family. I crossed the finish line today as a tribute to him, with my arms spread eagle displaying the sharpie script of "In Memory of Capt. Mark Nickles" across my wingspan. Here's to you bro, and to all of the men and women who have served and who are proudly serving now. Thanks for reading everyone, and have a great Memorial Day weekend!


Check this link for the official results page. I'm on page 9, and finished with an official time of 1:13:01! A new personal record!

http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?orgID=234623&rsID=93681

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mike!!!
    I am so proud of you perseverance leading to your personal best.Thank you for writing awesome
    tribute for Marushka on Memorial day observance.
    He must have big smile watching you run.Stay with your program.For what i can tell it makes
    you happy physicality as well as spiritually.
    I too belong to wellness club to stay healthy.
    (you know us old people)I always feel better
    afterwords.
    Hope you guys can visit us again.You are always welcome in our home.
    Love

    Basia and Andrew

    ReplyDelete