Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Years Ultimatum

It's finally here. 2010 is around the corner and many of you have jumped on the health tip and plan to start off the new year right. January 1st and 2nd are the two dates that people have told me they plan to begin to change their health around. You are not alone, but to make sure you follow thru, here are just a few things I want to get across to you.

First, it's great that you set a start date, now just stick to it. The night before your start date, make sure everything is in order, and I can't say this enough--schedule your meals and your fitness routine. Doing this will be key in breaking your old routine and beginning a new, healthy one to replace it.

Second, don't come up with excuses like, "...well, I've never been disciplined so..." or "...I have too much to do today..." Save that crap and instead, come up with reasons why you need to eat more responsibly and reasons why you can't skip your workout. For example, "...I've made a decision, and I have to stick with it..." or "...my health is important to me..." or "...I want to look great in a bikini by june..." When you focus on your goals instead of your obstacles, there are no obstacles that will stand in your way.

Finally, create a "New Year's Ultimatum" and not a resolution. What is a resolution, really? One of the definitions on dictionary.com is

a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group.

Ok so basically, you are stating your intention do do something? I think an ultimatum, or


a final, uncompromising demand or set of terms issued by a party to a dispute, the rejection of which may lead to a severance of relations or to the use of force.


sounds much more final and suggests there will be consequences for taking no action, which is true. Ok, so no one will beat you or arrest you, however, there may surely be short or long term health consequences like diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc. Make some daily ultimatums, and make them incentives for you instead of punishments, and they should help. And if you don't stick to the plan, then don't allow yourself your "treat". Confusing? Not really. Here are some examples:

"Only if I workout today, I'll get to watch my favorite show!" or
"If I eat right all day today, I'll treat myself to a glass of wine with dinner!" or
"After I workout and run my errands, I get to go on facebook!"

Sounds good, right? This way, (and oddly similar to treating your pet), you will incent yourself positively, and believe me it will not only work, but you will feel better when watching your fav show and/or enjoy the extra activities you love to do knowing that you are healthier doing them.
And be firm with yourself because it will teach you discipline.

Hopefully, these tips can help you succeed. Remember, take it day by day and the linking days will lead to weeks, months, etc, and you WILL succeed. I'm here to help you so please lean on me when you need to, and we can get around your obstacles and celebrate your milestones together. Thanks for reading, everyone. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, it is 11pm on January 1st 2,010 and before this day turns into January 2nd I need to get back on my routine, like Coach Mike(my son) says and get the ultimatum commitment. I was slacking last week, the reason, not excuse was the holiday and because I had and still do, a nasty cold and cough. I want to step into the 2,010 with the right attitude. So all of you young people out there that are reading this, listen to an experienced senior citizen (66) who have had two knee replacements that if I can do push ups with Debbie Sieber's slim in 6 you can too. I wish all of you a healthy, happy and prosperous 2010 and more.

    ReplyDelete