Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

Play To Win

It was all over sportscenter this morning. The Colts potentially perfect season was tainted by a loss to the Jets yesterday, and people aren't happy about it. The thing that is upsetting to fans and others is the fact that Peyton Manning, arguably the most prolific passer playing today, was pulled from the game to rest in the third quarter with the Colts only up by five points. The Colts from that point gave up 19 unanswered points, which one could point out that the defense is ultimately responsible for, however, anyone who knows anything about Peyton Manning knows that he would have answered those points and the score would have most likely been different and even favored the previously undefeated team. I did not personally witness the game or even watch many of the highlights, but I did see Peyton Manning's face while he stood on the sidelines, and it was a face of anxiety and I could tell he was really holding back his emotions, most likely to show his class and leadership, which is difficult but appreciated. Jim Caldwell's decision is questionable, but his statement was on point--"Our goal was never to have a perfect season..." and he went on to allude to the fact that the main goal as an NFL team is to win the Super Bowl and in order to do that you have to make it through the playoffs, which they are on the road to for sure.

I don't know, though. Momentum is a huge factor and to pull Manning and interrupt the chemistry and magic that this team has had the whole season for a few minutes of rest may prove to do more harm than good. A popular phrase from analysts this morning was, "Play to Win". Mike Ditka also stated that you "keep score for a reason". I would have to say I agree because now the players have this thing on their shoulder that's going to no doubt be eating at them. Not because they lost, but rather because they had a great shot at winning and they allowed the team to play at a sub-par level and this may have led to the loss. If they had played their best and simply gotten beaten by a better team that day, they still would have known that they played their best. But since this wasn't the case, they are forced to look back and wonder what could've happened or "what if...?" You get the idea and no matter what happens from here, the idea of "what if...?" leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

So of course I am tying this in to our pursuit of a healthier and fit lifestyle! Do you want to wake up one day and wonder, "What if I had just stuck to the program?" or "I wonder what it feels like to have ripped abs?" or even more serious "If I had gotten healthy when I had the chance and listened to Mike and allowed him to help me, would I still be sitting in this hospital bed?...would I still be taking this blood pressure medication?...would I still cringe at my reflection in the mirror?" Think ahead a little bit and see how great a healthy life can be! Then "Play to Win" and don't look back. I'm never looking back and I'm giving 100%. Are you ready to join me? Make today the day you make that decision, and if you've already joined me or are on your own quest to better health, don't look back and keep going! Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment