Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

Play Like A Team

During the summer this past year, I found a job to help supplement my family's income at Freshii, a healthy fast-food franchise located in the loop. Although a simple and low-paying job, it was about what I needed, and I felt that the sales pressure and stress from a few of my past jobs wasn't necessary nor healthy. I love this job because I can promote health through our menu of salads, soups, and wraps, using fresh, raw vegetables and natural grilled chicken and salmon and other healthy toppings. We also feature non-fat tart frozen yogurt with the customer's choice of topping, muesli, and a wide variety of munchees, nutrition bars, sports nutrition, and beverages. That's the food aspect, though. What I love most is the team members who have become my friends over the past 6 months or so. If you work in a team environment, camaraderie and fun are a key element for the success of your operation, and helps the time go by too. I am currently the night shift supervisor and oversee a smaller crew that caters to a group of corporate workers who often are in the city late and seek out healthy eats at Freshii.

I can't say that we haven't had our share of differences, especially between the employees and management, but through communication of our disagreements we have worked them out pretty well, and I believe it is becoming the workplace that David, the owner, had envisioned from the inception. Last night was our holiday party at Whirlyball, a sports bar and a unique, team-fun type of place that hosts private parties and features "Whirlyball" a game where you form two teams that drive around in bumper cars and pass and shoot whiffle-balls through a vertical hoop with a plastic scoop. (Can't picture it?-go to www.whirlyball.com and check it out) Anyway, we had our share of drinks and food, and we did a grab-bag gift exchange and partied up with members from the morning and evening shifts of the two current Freshii locations. We definitely needed to kick back outside of work and enjoy ourselves, and we also were able to have fun with our management team, which is important, and I believe, brought us closer. I feel that we have forged some memories from yesterday that will only help us grow in the future and recall moments to laugh about as well. If you work in a team environment, you may want to look into a fun team-building outing as well, and just try not to talk about work the whole time and you will come away with stronger bonds in and out of the workplace. Thanks for reading, everyone...Happy Friday and have fun at work today!

No comments:

Post a Comment