Search This Blog

Sunday, December 20, 2009

From Jeans To Wings

..."Go tell it on the mountain where Jesus Christ was born..." You may or may not know this gospel Christmas hymn, but that's how we ended the church service today at Berry United Methodist, with faux-fruit percussion instruments and tambourines in-hand and smiles all around. We stopped to share a few words with Pastor Sherrie, then left to do some last-minute shopping. One of our stops was Lincolnwood Mall, where, among other things, I did a little shopping for myself. It was necessary because even now, months after I've dropped a whopping 80 lbs and several inches, I own very few articles of clothing, and am even packing up several coats to give away. We went to Express, one of the places I am now able to shop since attaining my new, leaner figure. They had a jeans sale, and I definitely needed some since the only two I currently own are beat-up hand-me-downs from my brother-in-law, who I am now close to in size.

As I searched for 32/30 size pants, I was reminded of the size I used to search for not too long ago, 38/30! That's six sizes! I excitedly entered the dressing room, threw 4 pairs of jeans down on the bench, and began disrobing with a smile on my face. I tried on the first, then second and soon realized even this size pant was a bit too loose! My mother-in-law advised me that I probably needed a 31 or 30, and I hastily traded sizes for the styles I had and began trying these on. 30/30...Eureka! Perfect fit! I came out of the dressing room for each pant to show my mother-in-law and glance in the mirror, lifting my shirt to examine my waistline and turn my hips to check out my legs, butt, and hips. We both ridiculed the event since it was such a profound one, and marveled at how great I fit in each pair of jeans. And the descriptions...low-rise, slim-fit, etc, were definitely not a part of my vocabulary. I thought those descriptions were only for skinny women, but I was wrong.

I can honestly say that trying on new jeans never felt so good, and actually, it was a euphoric and emotional experience. I am still amazed at the miraculous changes my body, mind, and spirit has gone through during this chrysalis of sorts, and I feel like a butterfly, coming out of my cocoon and for the first time fully able to spread my wings. I also want to point out that many of my friends, family members, and co-workers are joining me in this metamorphosis and will soon be breaking out of their proverbial shells and spreading their wings with new life. Won't you join us and see how beautiful your colors can be and how majestic the world can be while floating through the air instead of crawling on the ground? Be a part of something big: YOUR LIFE. Thanks for reading everyone, and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment