Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

Kickin' Off 2010 Proper

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you're excited as I am for the New Year, and though I stayed up late, ate and drank more than I should have, it was indeed a celebratory time. The new year, though as simple as a change of date, symbolizes much more, and it is important to start off right. So when I woke up and my wife begged me to stay in bed and not go through with my normal fitness routine, I kind of chuckled because I knew that was crazy talk. Instead, I started off right by doing my normally scheduled insane stacked 2 hour extreme workout, had my recovery drink, showered, and got ready for the day. My wife was a bit sick from the night before, so my mother-in-law and brother-in-law and I proceeded out as we had planned--to go to Cinemark in Woodridge to watch "Avatar" in IMAX 3-D. My brother-in-law had decided a few days ago to treat us all to this event, which was appropriate, and definitely proved a great way to spend New Year's afternoon.

Avatar was an awesome film, both visually stunning and spiritually and emotionally moving. I am not going to break down the whole movie, because it is very complex, but I do urge you to go and see this with an open mind as it is worth the experience. The movie says a lot about humanity and the type of destruction that seems is in our nature, and if I can tie that into this blog as a message for our health concerns, I will say that it seems we are naturally prone to wanting to cause this same destruction to our own bodies. I mean, think about it. God (or nature) has given us so much. A beautiful planet teeming with life. Water, green vegetation, fruits, vegetables, and a visually stunning landscape including plains, hills, mountains, and valleys among other wonders. From this Earth we are born, and our minds seem the greatest source of our future possibilites as well as our imminent self-destruction. Instead of working synergistically as a people with the planet, we choose to exploit its resources and destroy it and each other at the same time. I'm not going to elaborate on that thought, but let me take it down a notch and just focus on our own personal struggles with health today.

Most of us are capable of intelligent thought. So why would we choose to eat fatty, greasy, oversweetened, non-nutritious and logically disgusting foods when we can eat natural whole grains and cereals and pastas made from these grains, real fruits and vegetables, lean, unprocessed meats, beans, nuts, and seeds, etc? Because...you tell me. I'm not really sure anymore. Since I started eating healthy, nutritious foods in an appropriate manner, I have little or no cravings for foods that do nothing for me. I feel so great and so "high on life" because I am integrating great, essential nutrition with an equally stimulating fitness regimen that my mind and body seem to be on such a level that I couldn't achieve otherwise. I'm not gonna lie, though, occasionally I will indulge on a Holiday and have some extra calories, or something I wouldn't normally eat, but actually believe it or not, this helps me to get back to my healthy eating schedule because I don't feel great afterward. If you're reading this and wondering, "How do you live without french fries, Italian beef, pork sausage, cakes and other fattening pastries, etc?" then ask yourself, "How healthy am I and how good does this stuff actually make me feel?"

You know what? I was going to try and put a comparison in there, but I can't because every person may not identify with the one I choose, but ask yourself this: If I only know a certain level of greatness in my life, then how do I know what a greater level feels like? Do yourself a favor this year and attempt to live greater and treat yourself better than you have before. Integrate better nutrition and fitness in your lifestyle, and I assure you that if you strive for greatness, you will achieve it and your life will change for the better. But maybe I am crazy and the path to heart disease is better. Decide for yourself, and I am here for you if you choose to live better. Thanks for reading everyone! I wish you the best year in 2010!!

No comments:

Post a Comment