Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Trade-Offs

On New Year's Day, my wife had a realization about occasional binge drinking, or rather the day after binge drinking--the health costs aren't worth it. There have admittedly been some times recently where it has caused some issues, and also she hasn't seen as many physical results from fitness and otherwise good nutrition, which can most likely be attributed to the drinking on nights where she would have the next day off. So she came up with her own challenge--she has decided to abstain from drinking until her birthday, which is on February the 18th. This is only about a month and a half, but it is a long time considering she was drinking a couple times a week, and I am proud to support her in her challenge. In addition, she has started the Shakeology system--a revolutionary meal replacement shake that combines over 70 nutritious ingredients to promote necessary nutrients, digestive regularity, healthy cholesterol, weight loss...and it tastes delicious, too! She has started to integrate various home fitness routines along with this, and the combination of these factors will surely yield great results she will feel and see. Though I don't drink as much, I have also committed with her to abstain from drinking until her birthday, and we have agreed to celebrate both birthdays by going out for real Chicago style pizza (she made me agree to indulge!!) and we may have a drink or two.

In certain situations where you are forced to sacrifice things you love and may ordinarily do on a regular basis, remember there is always a trade-off. In our case, we will be reaping incredible health benefits and save money by giving up a few adult beverages. Also, we will use some money saved to go on a few "dry" dates together, and I know we will have no problem having a good time not to mention be confident and safe if driving to movies, restaurants, etc. Hopefully you can see how this same principle applies in sacrifices that you make and may choose to make in the future, such as spending an hour working out instead of extra time on facebook, or sacrificing junk food for healthy alternatives. Both of these scenarios will yield health benefits as well as a feeling of accomplishment. Please comment and share some of your trade-offs! Thanks for reading everyone!

2 comments:

  1. So, so true! It's amazing of how conscious I am of how much I drink when I'm trying to lose weight. Not only is it a huge money saver, but a headache saver as well. It's amazing how many calories we consume from beverages in general. I, for one, refuse to drink pop. Even when I indulge, I find I can rarely drink more than half a can. Pizza is a weak spot though, so when I give in (and I do) I almost always make it myself. I control the grease and the cheese, it's cheaper and usually tastes a lot better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sacrifices are worth it.. Even before exercising helped me lose weight, sacrificing pop, fast food, and just junk food helped me lose about 25 lbs. Portion control is also huge!

    ReplyDelete