Search This Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Nice Guy

Short one today, everyone, but I want to share a story from earlier this week. Wednesday as I walked off the L train, I noticed that the girl sitting across from me had gotten up and dropped her glove on the floor of the train on her way out. I picked it up and attempted to get her attention, but she was fast! I could've said, "oh well" and left it with the conductor or attendant, but the odds of figuring out where her glove might be were low. I quickly walked and weaved through the crowd down the stairs (that were on the opposite end of where I was originally headed) to follow her, and I did catch up to her. "Miss, you dropped your glove," I said to her. She turned and had a funny look, probably because she realized I had to basically chase her to catch up, and simply said "Thanks". It is hard to imagine that a gesture so simple could have an impact, but I felt good that I was able to get the glove back to her, and she probably had a funny yet positive story to tell, if at least once. If I brought her even a moment where she said, "wow...that was nice," and inspired a happy thought or a smile, than I feel that I had a successful day. Let's aim for making these small changes in the people that we are associated voluntarily or involuntarily with, and the small positive results will yield bigger and more positive outcomes in the future. You do have the power to inspire and change peoples lives, and it starts with what actions you decide to take, whether large or small. Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment