Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Stay In School

I remember growing up and going to elementary school, middle school, and on to high school. Throughout my childhood, I always had this thought that I couldn't wait to get done with school so I could just get a job and make money. What a naive way to think! It's definitely ironic since now more than ever, I have such a hunger for knowledge to better myself as an individual and also a health professional. I'm sure all of you can attest that besides school we have learned the most from our individual situations, experiences, interacting with our parents, family, and friends, and the jobs we've taken on and all the b.s. that comes along with.

I find that now, though, it is so important that I focus on always having a "student's mentality" meaning we are always looking forward, absorbing the knowledge we gain from every day life, and staying humble. Also, I encourage you to keep learning through books, magazines, internet, and through other professionals in your field as well. I am currently reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which is a narrative tracing the origins of our meals, and I have just started but I am learning very thoroughly about the history and industrialization of corn right now. One of my friends and trainees has suggested another book as well, called "The 7 Pillars of Health". In addition, I am always looking to learn more about health and fitness, and I do not pretend to know everything, but I am eager to help my trainees and others learn more so that they, too are empowered through education.

I encourage all of you to learn and keep learning and maintain a student's mentality for not just health, but for whatever you love to do (hopefully your chosen profession). When you approach it this way, your passion will seem only to increase, and you will want to be great at whatever you are doing, learn more, and even want to help others more. We can all grow together as individuals and as a people if we approached life this way. I'll leave you with this:

"Everyday do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow." -Doug Firebaugh

Have a great day everyone!

2 comments:

  1. The above daily dose of Mikey takes me back to my youth growing up in Karachi, Pakistan. One of the best lessons I learned from my father was that he consistently encouraged us to study hard and acquire knowledge to our highest capability. To dad, nothing was as important at acquiring knowledge and be independent, especially for girls. There were 5 boys and 3 girls (me being the younget). Dad never let anyone give up and he refused to give up on any one of us in spite of any thing. Dad had to grow up fast because being an only child losing both his parents before reaching age 15. He was a businessman before he finished high school. He took an oath to educate his children and give them higher education. We all had bachelors/masters degrees with good GPA. Dad said, you could lose every thing but no one can take your education and honor from you. Also, the founding father of Pakistan "Quaid-e-Azam" Mohammad Ali Jinnah's quote "Acquire knowledge from cradle to the grave" was instilled in us, and I tried to instill the same values in my children and I see that from Mikey's daily dose. Son, you never met your grandfather (Nanabapa- means maternal grandfather)but I see him in you. He would be so proud of you and Chris. Its ironic that you bring memory of my dad alive now- He passed into new Life on January 17th 1974. I am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, mom, that is certainly inspirational, and thank you for teaching me something more about my ancestry. What a quote, too! You're the best, mom! I love you!

    ReplyDelete