Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Food For Thought

Often times when we approach eating better or more nutritiously, we may think of sacrificing flavor or certain tastes. People often ask me, "So you can't eat _______?" and "You have to give up ________?" Insert your own foods into the blanks, but you should get the idea. This amuses me at times, because it's actually the other way around. When you choose to eat chicken fingers and fries, for example, instead of maybe a grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomato on whole-wheat bread or a multigrain wrap, with a side of tabbouleh, you are actually sacrificing calories filled with essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients that you need for calories of fat, which, other than the fact that may taste good and give you satiety (the feeling of fullness), it's doing little or nothing for you. When you start to see that you can actually enjoy foods you may like by making them better and more nutritious, you will find it is fun to see how healthy you can eat and the feeling of wellness that you will benefit from.

For example, on New Years Eve, my wife had made a menu, and one of the items on the menu was artichoke and spinach cheese dip, which I have never personally made, but I know starts with a cream cheese base and contains artichokes, spinach, and maybe some other elements and is usually served with tortilla chips. Now, the veggies make this dish a bit better than, say, a nacho cheese dip, but still the cheese usually contains a lot of milkfat and the chips are usually deep-fried which yields yet more fat. So, to trim this down a bit, I started with a package of fat-free Philadelphia cream cheese, put more, fresh vegetables in it, and even included a couple different vegetable purees to add nutrition. I served it with whole-grain bakery bread, celery, and carrots, and the outcome was a delicious and healthier version of a classic dip. If you click on the title of this blog, I have provided an appoximate recipe. (I say approximate because I don't really measure things out, but these should be close). Think of some foods you love to make and eat, and then think of ways to make them better, and you will love the results! Thanks for reading everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Well, its January 2nd 2010 and I did it. Last night before the clock struck 12 midnight, I did my slim in 6-start it up. My goal was to start my new year with Debbie Siebers Slim in 6-Ramp it up. I stayed up last night and watch the video work out. Timewise it is more than 45 minutes, so it would be harder but I was determined. This morning I got up had an egg sandwich and a cup of coffee and my morning meds, vitamin, E, fish oil and minerals. Then I thru a load of laundry, watched a biketrainer video with my husband, then I got ready to do my next phase in slim in 6-Ramp it up and hey!!!! I did it. Boy it was tough. first day of it. After 45 -50 minutes of this work out I was sweating and burning. I never thought I could get so intense. The credit for my energy and determination goes to God first and then to you my son-the coach. keep encouraging people. Now the question for my coach- Since this is the begining of ramp it up, should I alternate the ramp it up and start it up at first so I can get used to the intensity, would it be ok? Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom! you are awesome! By the way, my blog for January 3rd will address your question, because this is one of the most popular topics.

    ReplyDelete