Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Modify

Yesterday, my mom sent me some questions pertaining to her "Slim In 6" fitness program. I figured some of you may have similar questions and/or issues with your fitness routines, so here's a chance to get some modification ideas. Here are the questions, and I have bolded my feedback beneath each one.

1) When I use the stretchy band and try to do the full arm extensions, its hard so, when I cant do it by one arm, I use both hands/arms to do the arm extensions.
(She is referring to the 2-handle resistance band used with this and other systems, and I believe the lift is a shoulder press style lift here) Don't attempt one-arm lifts with two arms. If the band is too much, downgrade to a smaller band or smaller dumbbells. One to two pound weights are very inexpensive, and these will work well. Otherwise, try using soup or pop cans. You may not even need weight, but if you do, try those suggestions. Remember, don't sacrifice form or do a lift incorrectly because of weight. Sometimes I find myself in this situation, especially at the end of a workout or to get in the last few reps. Just remember-if you are injured, you can't work out at all!

2) when I am on the floor doing the push ups and leg lifts, my knees does not handle it very well, so I still push it but I use a cushion under my knees so it does not get in the floor.
Good call here. Even if you have carpet, your floor may seem hard. Using a fitness mat will usually help keep the strain off your knees, and certainly, using a cushion is fine as long as it doesn't keep you from doing the lift/workout properly.

3) Its very difficult to do the downward dog under the yoga, so I use a small chair to put my hands on instead of on the floor. Its very shaky when I do the exalted warrior and so on.
Yoga is very difficult, and especially considering your flexibility level, the moves and poses may seem impossible at times. Once again, this is a great way to modify, as long as you are getting a good stretch in. Just always remember to breathe deeply to oxygenate the muscles, and when you are ready to modify less or do the pose as presented, you will know. I applaud your efforts when many people would quit or give up.

Hopefully these questions and solutions may help you by giving you ideas on how to modify your routine, whether it be in the gym or at home. Keep challenging yourself, and if you are struggling with a certain lift, move, or pose, modify it to make it work for you, and you are sure to get the results you want. Feel free to comment below or click on the title to this blog to connect to my coach page and contact me with any questions you have. Thanks for reading everyone, and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment