Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Get Your Serve On

Today is my official 100th blog. One day I just decided to start blogging for myself, for the people that have been now looking to me for help and advice, and for people that read my blogs that I don't even have a connection with. I feel that if some of the words I am typing from the top of my head can make a difference and/or a positive impact in our lives, then it is worth it. I encourage all of you to write a journal and/or blog. You might be surprised at who you help and what you, yourself will learn from yourself if you get your thoughts out and document some of your experiences. Anyways, this one isn't about my century mark, but I wanted to give it an intro regarding my desire to serve.

Early this week as I walked into work, I noticed a flyer on the door to the back office that stated something like, "Text 'Haiti' to...and donate $10 to the relief fund." Ignorantly, I had not read or seen much news to know the terrible disaster that had happened recently, and I probably made some shrewd comment as well, which I am terribly sorry about doing. Throughout the week I learned from work chatter about the devastating earthquake and the countless lives lost and unmeasurable damage that has recently happened in Haiti, and today in Church, there were several mentions of the event and how we could contribute to the relief. We took a separate offering for this relief, and I gave my 10 bucks that I should have texted earlier in the week, and I also learned how else to help. UMCOR, or the United Methodist Committee On Relief, is the organization that the church goes through for this relief, but obviously there are countless other organizations that you can donate money and supplies to as well. One way we can help is by making "Relief Kits" which consist of:

1 hand towel
1 washcloth
1 comb
1 nail file or fingernail clippers
1 bath-size bar of soap
1 toothbrush (single in packaging)
6 adhesive plastic strip sterile bandages

All these should be placed inside of a sealed 1-gallon plastic bag, and these kits can be dropped off at certain locations including Berry United Methodist Church in Lincoln Square, or shipped (along with $1 for toothpaste) to:

UMCOR SAGER BROWN DEPOT
P.O. BOX 850 131 SAGER BROWN ROAD
BALDWIN, LA 70514-0850

You can learn more about this organization and the relief effort by clicking on the title to this blog. In addition to this, I'd like to mention something regarding the message today. Being that we are celebrating the life of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., there were some relevant references to his life, his teachings, and his mission to unite everyone. I will end with this excerpt from "The Drum Major Instinct":
"And so Jesus gave us a new norm of greatness: If you want to be important--wonderful; if you want to be recognized--wonderful; if you want to be great--wonderful. But recognize that he who is greatest among you shall be your servant. That's a new definition of greatness."


There is much more, but let that be an example to all of us. Let's be greater than we ever thought capable. Let's get our serve on! May God bless the Haitian people, those who are serving in relief, each of us, and may we always appreciate what we do have, even in tough times, because we have a marvelous gift of life that we should always cherish no matter how long or short it may be. Thanks for reading everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment