Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Today Leads To Tomorrow

Duh, right? Seriously, though, I want to take a moment and talk about discipline. It's a bad word to many of us, and those of us who have learned discipline have also learned we must keep practicing and getting better at it. It's no secret, though, that successful people in any category of business, athletics, education, politics, etc, are disciplined people. I used to see a successful person and try to understand their day-to-day routines, and think to myself, "Wow, but that's ALL they do..." Yeah. Exactly. But now I am realizing that it's not that originally successful people actually want to start doing some of the activities they do. However, when you feel that success...when you feel everything coming together...when the results show their head and you can start to see light...your discipline will have been the thing that has guided you to that point, and you will actually enjoy and want to keep doing the things you are doing!

Today I visited the local park district to get a lap swim season pass so that I can get in the water and start re-learning to swim and get ready for a triathlon this summer, (certainly a subject where discipline will pay off, but not what I want to discuss here). When I was in line, another gentleman was behind me and he asked for a day pass to the fitness center. He asked me if my pool pass included the fitness membership, and I explained my limitations. I said, "I actually work out at home." And he replied, "Well, as long as you do it." "Absolutely, sir," I said. This short conversation really says it all. As long as you do it. Absolutely right. With home fitness, the obvious challenge is also an advantage, so you really need discipline. Since you are at home, you may be comfortable at home, you get to doing your tasks like checking email, cooking dinner, snacking, reading, etc., and many times you will put other activities before your fitness routine, and before you know it...you've run out of time! That's what you tell yourself, anyway. The problem lies in the fact that you've let your fitness slide as a top priority and you weren't disciplined enough to make it happen. However, the beauty of a home fitness system, such as P90X, Insanity, Slim in 6...really any Beachbody system for that matter, is that each day is literally scheduled for you. All you have to do is follow directions. As simple as it sounds, that is really it. We often overthink ourselves to the point of failure.

In a book I am reading, there is a quote from Samuel Hoffenstein,

"Wherever I go, I go too, and spoil everything."
Sounds funny, but think about it. I told a new guy at work today, "You're only limited by what's in here," as I pointed to my head. People, please realize that you can be as great as you want to if you let yourself get there. Discipline, through fighting your urges, temptations, and emotions with logic will get you there. Dig deep within yourself and you will find all that you need to get you there, whatever your goals may be. I'll leave you with this quote to end the blog, taken from the book "Developing The Leader Within You" by John Maxwell:
"What you are going to be tomorrow, you are becoming today."
So, chew on that, and work on today and what you can improve. Then tomorrow do the same, and each day you will come closer to who you want to be. Thanks for reading everyone!

1 comment:

  1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete