Search This Blog

Friday, March 5, 2010

Stressful Adjustment

A while back, I had finished some rigourous runs, the last of which was my second 10-mile run logged on Nike+. After that day, I experienced tremendous pain in my right foot in the arch and ankle areas. I thought this may have just been muscular pain due to the extreme exercise, but it hasn't fully went away. On recovery weeks and when I was sick recently, the pain subsided substantially, but the other day after my Plyometrics and 30-minute run combo, much of the pain came back, and I've been popping ibuprofen and applying Icy Hot, etc. Yesterday I was reading some study materials for my personal training certification test (no tentative date yet) and I learned through various descriptions of injuries that I most likely have a stress fracture. This is common after intense use and overuse, and the foot is one of the most likely areas.

I am in the middle of a scheduled P90X+ program currently, however, rather than perpetuate the injury and risk more serious damage not to mention taking hits in performance in the upcoming runs I have planned, I have decided to take a break from the set program and design something that will incorporate cardio and strength training to keep up my fitness level while toning down the heavy impact and stress on my foot. Below is what I have planned for the next 2-3 weeks, and I am posting this as an example for some of you who have injuries. Please let me know if you have a different injury or condition you are challenged with, and I will help you to find a workaround for it. Thanks for reading!

mon  -  upper body weight lifting/abs (custom using bench/no standing lifts!)
tue  -  spinervals (cycling training dvd)
wed  -  "X Stretch" (from P90X)
thurs  -  10-mile spinning (or outdoor ride)
fri  -  upper body weight lifting/abs (same as mon)
sat  -  "Fountain Of Youth" (1on1 w/Tony Horton)
sun  -  full rest day

No comments:

Post a Comment