Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Re-learn How To Swim

Thanks Jeannine for letting me borrow that book! Hey everyone, Jeannine, my neighbor has challenged me to complete a triathlon with her this summer. She knows that I have been doing a bit of running and that I know my way around a bike, but I have admitted my weakness: moving through water. I remember after getting in peak physical shape last summer and having the opportunity to swim at my friend Michelle's pool. It was awkward, uncomfortable, and exhausting. I realize by reading more about how to really swim effectively that I had been going at it the wrong way. As it was explained to me, most people concentrate on flailing our arms, kicking, and keeping our head up and are really just fighting "that sinking feeling" instead of moving through the water effortlessly and efficiently like a fish or torpedo would. With some basic drills that will allow me to re-learn balance, comfort, and really a new philosophy toward swimming, I can then learn how to minimize my effort and move through the water without elevating my breathing and heart rate. This will allow me to coserve more energy for running and biking, not to mention I won't feel like I'm drowning!

Of course...you've been waiting...I AM going to tie in a universal message! Lol! Seriously folks there's a lot to learn from this to apply more generally in our lives. So often in our health and in our lives, we may feel we are "fighting that sinking feeling" instead of moving efficiently and effortlessly toward our goals. I can't stress enough the importance of mindset. Once you can adjust your philosophy on fitness and nutrition, and really your life, only then will you stop struggling and fighting to stay afloat and you will be able to "re-learn" how to eat, be active, make better decisions, and live your life to the fullest. It starts with you. You have to be willing to admit you need help before you can follow directions, and once you do, you will truly flourish and grow. Thanks for reading everyone, and have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment