Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Big City

As many of you know, I am developing myself and others as Beachbody coaches part-time while working full-time downtown in a healthy fast-food place called Freshii, located in Equinox on Monroe and Wells. As Jim Rone would put it, "I'm working full-time at my job, and part-time on my fortune." Anyway, it's getting nicer, and on the way home, I've started walking to Clark/Lake and sometimes all the way to Merchandise Mart to catch the brown line. It's a beautiful walk and I don't have to circle the loop in the train, so I end up getting home faster. During my walk, I listen to Muse or a personal development audio while looking to the sky and appreciating the magnitude and magnificence of this great city. I look up, (much like tourists do), to check out the tall buildings and marvel at the architectural brilliance that many of them emulate. I think to myself and wonder at the stories behind them, and the people whose dreams were realized. You see, these tall buildings were once a thought, a dream perhaps, of one or more people.

Take one building, any of the big, great buildings, and think about this. Imagine there was one main architect behind it. This individual didn't just wake up one day and draw up some blueprints and that was it. No. Rather, I believe, this individual experienced life as many of us did and are now: he went through school, met challenges he was faced with, made mistakes, grew and learned, made more mistakes, grew and learned, faced tough financial hardships, maybe interned and worked odd-jobs while learning more and more each day. Little by little, this person did the things he knew he had to do to have a chance at being a great architect. Then this person was given challenges and became very skilled. He most likely helped designed many smaller, more standard buildings, oversaw construction, made mistakes, and learned. One day, one great day, an opportunity arose and this person contributed to designing and building one of the great buildings that I now marvel at on my walk to the brown line. That building represents a dream realized, and had it not been for many dreamers, this big city wouldn't be filled with all of the historical and great buildings that make up our skyline. This is a city of dreamers, and we can all reach our dreams. When you walk through the city next time, think about this and what it means to you. What is your dream? What are the things you can do each day to bring you one step closer to that dream? Isn't it worth making the necessary sacrifices to get there? Yes, it is. And remember: nothing is impossible. Thanks for reading, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment