Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

What Are You Capable Of?

Yesterday I had another training session with my first regular client. She has responded well to my advice and recommendations and does her "homework". When she first came in, she was a bit wary of strength training and the whole gym scene. We've gotten to know one another a little bit, and I feel that we are both getting comfortable with one another already. This client has never really done any type of training other than walking and swimming, so my focus is gradually easing into it, educating her on why we are doing certain things, and helping her with form, especially during corrective exercises. My job is also to help my clients overcome their obstacles. One of hers is that she doesn't enjoy physical activity or exercise, so I am also developing some fun games that include strengthening and interactivity so we both enjoy ourselves, and yesterday was fun for me, and I feel that my client enjoyed herself as well. The reward for me was seeing her at the desk as she was leaving. She was smiling, energetic, and seemed full of joy and excitement for herself. I feel she is gaining confidence in me as her guide to better health and wellness. This improves my self-confidence that we are doing the right things and are both moving forward together.

Training is a "we" experience, and the success of my clients means that I, too, am successful. I love the opportunities that this role is giving me, and I am grateful for the chance to be able to empower someone through training and education. People need to feel hopeful for their future and that they can reach their goals. I don't feel that I motivate people, but my goal is to help people find the motivation and heart within themselves and to help them use their full potential. People's goals may be to lose weight, shave minutes off of their marathon time, etc, but certainly the changes that happen within are much more profound and meaningful than anything on the outside. The true education is what you learn about yourself and what you are able to achieve once you set your mind to it. What are you capable of? Have a great day, everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment