Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Criti-Sized

Yesterday I completed a rigorous chest & back focused workout, which included a few supersets as well as a mini circuit at the end. For some of my back exercises, I used dumbbells in a pulling fashion to focus on my middle-back, namely my latissimus dorsi muscles, or so I thought. Sometimes it takes an outside look to notice common mistakes made in form, and this is what happened to me yesterday. After my workout, a more experienced female trainer asked me if I was deliberately trying to work my traps (trapezius). It took me a moment, but I realized she was referring to my workout, and I had in mind the back exercises she was talking about.

I want to pause for a moment, because most (or all) of you who are reading this aren't trainers but you are most likely professionals in whatever field you are in. You know that feeling you get when you think you are doing things properly and someone comes in and informs you that you might be wrong? This was that feeling. This is relevant because I urge all of you to push that feeling of pride down, think about the situation for a moment, and realize that this person is trying to help you. It's at least worth a listen, and the fact that he/she said something indicates they care enough to take their own time to tell you about it.

I had that short moment, pushed past it, and realized she was right. I listened to her advice, and she told me what she had witnessed. Apparently, my back wasn't in the proper posture for the exercises, and also on my shoulder flys, I was shrugging my shoulders. Both of these indicated that I was first of all using too much weight, but also since my back was more rounded than arched, I was using more of my traps and not actually targeting the areas that the exercises were intended to target. Further, I wouldn't want to injure myself, and I certainly wouldn't want someone to try to duplicate my exercise and replicate my improper form. I will take the advice seriously, and I really appreciated her letting me know so I can correct these issues and improve my workouts! In whatever field you might be in, just remember to take advice as you want your advice to be taken, and realize that the adviser is not out to attack you! Your pride causes you to feel that way, so humble yourself and learn from whatever advice is given as it will help you in your task as well as benefit your character. Have a great day, everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment