Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pizza Night

Friday I usually don't have appointments or floor shifts (for now), so I have been using Fridays specifically to get grocery shopping and other home errands done. One thing we've been doing regularly is making pizza. Yes, pizza! But not traditional greasy, empty, overly-fatty pizza. I start by making the dough from scratch with organic stone-ground whole wheat flour, whole grain rye flour, and flaxseed meal. There are only a handful of other ingredients in the dough including extra-virgin olive oil, salt, granulated garlic, honey, and...well, that's really it. I have really gotten the hang of it, and it is quite rewarding to get to the finished product. Anyway, I knead the dough, (which is a great arm workout by the way), then set it to proof for an hour and a half. During this time I usually get some office work done or even get grocery shopping out of the way. After it has risen, I punch the dough down, split it up, and let it rise slightly again for about 15-20 minutes. Then it's time to roll out the dough and pre-bake. We top the rounds (or pan style, whichever floats my boat on the given day) with slices of roma tomatoes, fresh veggies, and a bit of mozzerella. I have been trying to get away from cheese and dairy a bit more, so on one of the pizzas I crumbled soft tofu instead of mozzerella and made a delicious vegan pizza. It was awesome! So you see, pizza night can be healthy and fun too! I have pretty much mastered the process, so look for the recipe and pics soon on my recipe blog. Please post comments and how you make pizza or other traditionally unhealthy foods a bit healthier--we'd love to hear and learn! Have a wonderful Saturday everyone, and thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. On average how much does a pizza like this cost to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question...when I post the recipe I will do an exact breakdown to figure it out, but my estimate is somewhere around a few dollars. From 8 cups of flour I can make 8 8-9" crusts which will serve about 8 people, and a 5lb bag of flour lasts me about 2-3 rounds and is only about $6-$8, depending on the brand. (If you decide to mix flours and add flaxmeal it will still average out about the same). Other than that, you are talking about one roma tomato and veggies and cheese or tofu to top each, which is not that expensive. It will cost you time to make the dough and crusts, but it is well worth the effort! Thanks for the question, and thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete