Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lead By Example

I'm getting more and more acclimated at work with the gym, its members, and my fellow trainers and staff. I've started making a few friends and I'm constantly learning from other trainers and my management/leadership staff. Yesterday a few cool things happened. Last week, I met a member that appeared to be a runner, and we ended up discussing running and events for a while. Yesterday, he came in and I greeted him "good morning". He asked me if I had started training people, and I told him yes and that I even had a few clients. He then explained that his usual trainer was out of town and that he, himself is leaving so he won't be able to get in a session, and he asked if I would train him for an impromptu core/strength workout on Monday! Awesome! That was the beginning of my day, and the rest of the day was a breeze as well. At the end of my shift, I got a chance to talk a bit with Dennis, a veteran trainer well versed in strength, power, and martial arts, which is awesome. When I first started, his presence was a bit intimidating, but I realized he was just observing a bit. That said, I tried to stay out of his way while watching and learning how he handled his clients. He is very successful, and even has had some regular clients for over 6 years! He discussed with me that I am doing some of the right things and that the payoff will come in relationship building. He also gave me valuable insight as to the community we serve and the clientele at our gym. One thing that he told me was that the clients "want to be like you...that's why they opt to train..." Makes sense. We are living an examples of fit, healthy, and active individuals, and each trainer has his/her own unique skill set and personality. People really respond to that, and as I've witnessed, the clients really do enjoy being challenged and participating in the training that his/her actual trainer practices him/herself, which is cool.

I wanted to share a bit of my experiences so far, but this is also a great example of why you need to be healthy and fit. Surely, you all have people that look up to you and care about you, whether you recognize it or not. Your children, spouse, family, friends, and co-workers are observing your behavior and attitude, and some will follow your lead. It is very important that you set a good, positive, healthy example for others, and they will begin doing some of the things you do. An active lifestyle is addictive, and people want to be positive and energetic, and if you embody that, then they, too will follow. Think about this when you are working out, performing at your job/career, or even interacting with others. What example are you setting? Would you want to follow someone like you or someone else? Why? You have a chance to do better than just serving yourself. I encourage all of you to set a great example for the benefit of others, and you will be more satisfied and rewarded in you own life because of it. Have a great weekend and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment