Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

What's Hot

It's been quite an interesting week and a long, fun, wild weekend to top it off. There were many highlights, but I want to talk about a few new fitness experiences this week. I'm lucky to be working as a trainer at the best gym in America, and it definitely has its perks. I've recently begun my own fall/winter cross-training program, and in order to help make it complete I've decided to include a weekly regimen of personal pilates training as well as yoga. Thursday I had my pilates session, and it was awesome. If you haven't tried pilates, I urge you to do so. Pilates is a total-body experience that I can foresee will help me to stabilize with my core better, improve my posture, and in turn, will help me in other areas of athletics. Yoga has been a similar experience for me, but one major thing with yoga is the mind-body element. Yoga, besides helping with flexibility, stability, balance, strength, and breathing, instills patience and trains your mind as well. Yesterday I tried "hot" yoga, or Bikram Yoga, for the first time, and it was quite an experience. (Click on the title to this blog to link to the studio I am going to.) I urge you to round out your fitness with yoga and pilates, and definitely work with your trainer to implement safe and appropriate routines.

What I really want to highlight is the satisfaction of witnessing my clients' excitement for their own fitness. I mentioned above about perks of training, and I am actually training my pilates instructor in exchange for her service to help me. Awesome deal! Anyway, she is a dancer and is admittedly detrained as far as strength and endurance go. I trained her yesterday for the first time, and we were able to work through her weak points, avoid aggravating old injuries, and challenge her in a different way than she is accustomed to. At parts of the strength segment as well as the cardio intervals, I saw this look of excitement on her face that really pumped me up. She looked so happy to be getting a good workout in, and she really kicked butt, too!

Of course we can translate this into your job/career, too--if your job seems boring, remedial, or unexiting and if you are unmotivated, then adjust your thinking. Try something new and think about the people you are helping. A sales call is not just a sales call. Don't sell products at all. Instead, solve problems. Look at those presentations and consultations as opportunities to help someone reach a goal. You have the chance to profoundly improve the quality of someone's life every day, even if it's not a client or customer. Maybe you can brighten a co-worker's day with a compliment or a show of consideration. Bring an extra coffee back for someone or say hello to the person you join in an elevator, and get excited when they respond! Simple things like these can not only help them but in turn, may help you feel re-charged and more focused and positive throughout the day. Please post your thoughts, have a great week, and Happy Halloween! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment