Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

One Pushup At A Time

It's been a full week since I've shared my thoughts on this blog, and I appreciate the time I've gained as it is needed. That said, this week's message is about making changes--one pushup at a time.

I've been working closely with one of my regular clients over the past few weeks. We've been establishing strength and preconditioning as our focus for this cycle, and the struggle, like many, is in range of motion. Take the pushup: a seemingly basic exercise, it is everything but. Executing a single pushup demands upper body strength, shoulder girdle mobility, core stability and strength, balance and coordination. Many people can start and finish a pushup or do a half range-of-motion version, going halfway to the floor and back, but it is a full range-of-motion pushup that I'm really after in a solid test. Going back to the client I began talking about, she is the same way...or has been for the past few weeks. She has been working diligently outside of sessions and trying her best all the time. It is truly the hard work put in outside of our training sessions that has really been paying off. The other day in our routine, my client did one, two, three, four...and more...full range of motion pushups! She stopped around five or so, took a break, then did some more. The realization of this milestone drove her to try to keep doing more! I know it was awesome for her, but I have to admit I had to hold my excitement in myself.

I am finally to the point now in this business that I am witnessing more and more results which means I am doing my job! What I also know from experience is that the mindset changes are the biggest and most profound. Positivity and confidence is replacing negativity and apprehension, and those are just a couple examples. For me, it will be a constant challenge to get people in the game and keep them there, and for all of us in fitness, business, and in life, we must continue to conquer these challenges and realize our own milestones, one pushup at a time. Have a great week, everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment