Search This Blog

Sunday, October 3, 2010

One Week Left

One week left. The Chicago Marathon is on Sunday, 10-10-10. Two years ago when I was 225 lbs, a half-pack/day smoker and Mr. Unhealthy, if you would have told me I'd be running in a marathon as a personal trainer, I would have laughed you out of my house. This is huge. It is the culmination of my running efforts this season, which by the way, is the first season I ever really ran for sport or fun. Beyond any and all changes I've made physically, truly the changes that have happened internally have been much more profound. Fitness and health is way more about attitude, motivation, and perseverance than anything else. And by committing to something as meaningful as health, I have really been able to apply the same principles of discipline and hard work into other aspects of my life, and taken it further. I have found my self infecting people with the "health bug" that I have. It's quite contagious! It seems in the midst of the economic chaos, disasters, family issues, and everything under the sun, people have found solace in fitness and nutrition, and that's a great thing! Once we get ourselves on the right track with our body, we will no doubt be on the right track mentally, and better equipped to handle whatever life will throw at us next. In the middle of so much difficulty I have experienced personally, I am grateful to God for the opportunities that have opened up. Recognize that it is not about simply wishing things were better. Confront your difficulties/obstacles and make concise decisions on how to handle them, and you will be surprised at the great things that will happen as a result. For me, changing my health has not only meant changing my life, but it has also meant that people I love and care about have had their lives changed for the better as well. My whole family has gotten healthier and more health conscious as a bi-product of my own health revolution, and now I am making a living helping others do the same. Please say a prayer and/or join me at the finish line this Sunday in person or in spirit. I appreciate the support I have received, and I thank you all for being part of my success! Thanks everyone, and thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mikey, You are the reason rest of your family; Chris, dad and I are committed to make better choices about our health and eating habbits. You have been an inspiration to all of us.Since last year October, when I started the beach body workouts, I have finished 93 workouts and am still continuing to keep healthy and all. In addition, dad and I joined the LA Fitness. Yesterday we went thru the 45 minute complimentary training. Barry, the PT, awesome guy showed us the basic exercises for warm up and other exercises concentrating on the CORE with the exercise ball and the medicine ball and also with some basic machines like, stairmaster, treadmill, cycle and some other machines. The staff here is excellent. We are going to take classes like Yoga, Ab workout, Boot camp and Aqua aerobics regularly. I am also working at the local middle school which keeps me in touch with lot of educators and kids who need help. I have been regularly subbing for the same person and have gotten to work with special ed kids. It makes me humble and makes me realize how blessed we are that we never had to help you and your brother with home work. These kids have taught me to be patient and appreciate them when they make effort to learn. I hope you read this comment. About your blogs, you can do it weekly which will give you more time and ways to express your thoughts. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete