Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2009

Good Eats

I'm still full, and we finished eating around 6 or 7! Like many of you, I indulged on a beautiful Thanksgiving feast. It was a bit healthier, but I can't deny the extra calories I enjoyed, and I feel no remorse. (Now, of course, I have to tie in some health info! lol!) The problem is for most of us that we seem to eat like it's Thanksgiving every day, taking in hundreds and sometimes thousands more calories than our bodies really need to support our daily activities, and this is why we put on extra fat, our cholesterol levels and blood pressures rise, etc. Really, most people don't know how to eat properly because we've never learned.

Earlier in the week, I thought about where this starts, and though it's not really our fault, we can learn and change our behavior to match what our doctors advise. When we are in grade school thru high school, we are served a standard lunch which most of the time contains too much sodium and saturated fat, we take numerous classes that challenge us mentally, some of us don't take gym class or weight training not to mention join any athletic clubs and/or teams, etc. Most of all, though, have you ever thought of some of the overweight and unhealthy gym teachers? How can you teach something you don't believe in or practice? And many of these same teachers instruct a one-semester health class where we don't come away with any tangible nutritional knowledge or staggering facts such as "Heart disease is the number one killer in America". Why even subject pregnant girls and other sexually active teens to a video about conception? Maybe I may be being a bit extreme, but we need to start thinking about these things, especially if we want our children to be healthy and live as healthy adults.

On a positive note, I would just like to say how thankful I am to have had the opportunity to host my first successful Thanksgiving and spend time with my family. Also, I would like to pray for those people who couldn't spend time with their families due to travel issues, illness, injury, or any other reason. I am truly in one of the poorest economic situations I've been in so far, but I thank God that I am as fortunate as I am because most other people in the world are going through way tougher social, economic, and political situations, and I pray for those to improve. Thanks to all of you who are reading this, and I hope I can help you make a positive impact in your own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment