Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Crampin' Up

Yesterday a co-worker told me about a muscle cramp he had and asked me about it. I started to think about it and realized, I don't really know the whole deal, so I thought I'd look into it and blog about it today. I found out that the skeletal muscles, (the ones we voluntarily control), are the most prone to cramping. Well, what exactly is a cramp? Well, when we use our muscles, they alternately contract and relax as we perform daily functions, exercise, hold our posture, etc. When a muscle contracts and relaxes on its own, it is called a "spasm". A spasm that contracts and holds is known as a cramp and this can be quite painful, especially if it lasts more than a few seconds or even several minutes. Often, the muscle appears hard visually or to the touch, and most everyone experiences this at some point in their life so don't worry, it's normal.

So what causes these cramps and how do we prevent them? Well, the exact cause of these cramps is not known, however certain conditions can increase the possibility, especially when it comes to athletics and training. Insufficient warming up, stretching, heat, and fatigue may play a role, and often these conditions lead to imbalances in electrolyte levels in your blood which can also support the cause of cramps. An obvious way to prevent this is to stay hydrated, stretch before working out or heavy physical labor, and if you will be getting really intense, incorporate a sports drink which contains electrolytes to help prevent cramping during exercise. I recommend G2, a lower-calorie form of Gatorade. Personally, I do heavy endurance workouts, and use G2 to stay hydrated, and I seldom have any kind of cramping issue. Occasionally, however, I start to feel a hamstring getting a bit tight. At this point, (and if this happens to you), I take a short break in my workout and stretch the appropriate muscle lightly and with lateral motion so that the entire muscle gets stretched back out and loosened back up.

Unfortunately, the occasional "charley horse" upon waking or watching TV seems inevitable, and do what you can to rub it out or shake it off--it will eventually go away. In the meantime, even if you don't work out that often or intensely, it is important to incorporate stretching and/or yoga weekly to maintain and increase your flexibility. Remember to stay hydrated as well and eat a balanced diet including fruits, vegetables, and quality proteins and some good fats. Click on the title to learn more about muscle cramps if you like, and remember: practicing good health is the best way to prevent everyday problems and future long-term conditions and diseases. Thanks for reading everyone, and if you want me to blog about a topic on your mind, please let me know! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment