Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2009

Eat Great, Feel Great!

When people see me now, or learn that I have been living more healthily, they ask me, "So can you eat this...oh you can't eat that..." It's kind of comical, really, because that's how I used to think. As a society, especially in Chicago, we are ingrained with the idea that pizza, wings, fries, big steaks, huge sandwiches, etc, are the best foods on earth, and if you were to eat healthy you would be abandoning a great lifestyle. The truth is, I can eat whatever I want...but what I want to eat has changed. Since I have gotten accustomed to extreme fitness routines such as through P90X and INSANITY, my two main home fitness programs, I have learned to eat foods that are more wholesome and that provide the necessary fuel my body needs to perform at an extremely high level. For example, in between lunch and dinner, I will have a carbohydrate craving to maintain my energy. I don't eat cookies or chips. Rather, I choose to munch on crunchy granola. Great whole grains, sweetness, and a fun crunch. It holds me over and gives me the energy I need. On my days off, I love to prepare and eat a great meal with my family. Yesterday I made Pork Loin chops, a leaner cut of pork which is also versatile, affordable, and delicious, a great garden salad, and a bulgar pilaf. Check out my full recipe by clicking on the title above.

Another thing people say is, "eating healthy is more expensive..." Yes and No. When you buy fresh, lean meats, vegetables, and fruits, it may seem you are paying more, but remember you are buying the raw materials. For the same money you spend on a quarter pounder with cheese, you can buy a pound of ground turkey, which is 93% lean. Also, even if it is cheaper, does that mean it is the better choice? Not at all. Think about shoes. You can go to Target or Payless and buy some gym shoes for 20 bucks. But you and I both know if you ran in these they would be less comfortable, less durable, and would probably effect your performance. Spend 80 dollars on a quality pair of Nikes and surely you will have more comfortable, higher-quality shoes that will last longer and help you perform better. Same principle goes for your diet too, people. So, what choice will you make for your body today?

No comments:

Post a Comment