Search This Blog

Sunday, December 12, 2010

"You're Not A Runner"

I feel lucky to have the career and life that I do. One of my challenges and duties is to inspire my clients to change or improve their mindset. One of my new clients, a runner and a fellow health and fitness junky, challenged me to think differently. We were discussing run training, and I mentioned at some point that I was done running outside for the winter. "You're not a runner...I need a runner..." she stated. I admit, I had to step back for a minute. I've been taking on so many challenges and done many extreme fitness activities up to this point, but I really had nothing to say for myself. I shook it off and we carried on in our session. Admittedly it has been haunting me, and today I decided to do something about it. I layered up and put 5 more miles on my new running shoes. Yes...outside...today... I had a blast!! I wasn't comfortable until well into mile 3, but it was definitely an experience. Some of the nostalgic obstacles reminded me of running outside--red lights, alleys, crazy drivers, and of course, moms with their unpredictable children. The new stuff was the ice and snow and the frozen beaten areas where hundreds of people have walked over. I must have burned a few extra concentration calories than on the treadmill! Anyways, today's run has opened the door for outdoor winter running, and I'm grateful I got challenged. What's something you haven't done due to apprehension or fear? Challenge yourself, or talk to someone who's done it and get them to challenge you! Then let's all continue to build on our new accomplishments. Have a great week, everyone, and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment