Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Don't Quit - Prioritize!

I recently got an email from a workshop participant regarding quitting smoking and how tough it is. No doubt about it--it is the most addictive thing not only chemically, but since it is so available, the temptation is always there. I smoked for 10 years and I did try several times to quit, but it never stuck. Currently I am tobacco-free for over 2 years, and am having no issues. It is not because I did anything different physically--I used the gum to calm cravings, but it is only when my philosophy changed that I was able to do it for good. Here is the exerpt directly from my email response. Hope it helps you or someone you know with any addiction--yes unhealthy eating is one of the most deadly addictions here in America!!

Thanks for your response! Listen, I used to smoke ½-1 pack/day for 10 years, and I do know it is hard to quit. It is equally hard to abandon an unhealthy diet and stick to a fitness program, etc. There is a reason you started going to Chiro One and there is a reason you are still there. Whatever the case may be, you have prioritized your health and well-being and that allowed you to make a few sacrifices to continue and be consistent with care. In the same regard, instead of focusing on discontinuing the activity of smoking, I urge you to use your same philosophy regarding health. Since you care about yourself and your health, realize that smoking is inhibiting your pursuit of health. Understand that it cannot be part of your long-term health equation. Also, you are used to the activity and are triggered by certain things even if you don’t necessarily have a craving. It’s about identifying those times and triggers, and when they occur, focus on your clear picture and vision of health to get you through. You’re hanging on to smoking for whatever reason and deep down feel that you never want to give it up. There needs to be a proverbial funeral of sorts where in your mind you actually accept that you must make a change. It doesn’t matter what modality you try (patch, gum, hypnosis, etc); it is only when YOU change your philosophy and “grow out of” your current mindset that you will be able to do it. It is hard now, but trust me, when you truly commit to your health, truly quitting smoking will not be a problem. I’ve been through that, and I’ve been through thoughts of not giving up foods I was used to, etc, and it’s all the same. Addiction to anything is tough, but you must keep an open mind and be willing to change your habits and thought processes in order to accept and welcome your new self.
Thanks for reading, everyone, and smile--it's a great day to be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment